3/02/2008

Street Preachin, People & Poems

I just got home from being in West Philadelphia, a.k.a. the city of brotherly love, where the brothers are getting tired of all the crime and killing. It isn't as bad as many foreign countries, and my experience has been that the people are very religious in Philadelphia. That doesn't mean that the gospel is understood by too many people. But I've met some people while witnessing on 69th street who seemed to be genuinely filled with the Holy Spirit and faith in Christ. Calvary Chapel has a strong ministry in Philadelphia. Once, I met two young woman from the Antioch church who acknowledged that "Christ did it all" (my slang for "Christ has accomplished full salvation and redemption on behalf of us who helplessly trust in Him").

However, my reason for writing this post is because in recent conversations with my friend Herman, we were talking about poems. Herman is over 70 years, but has the appearance of being in his early 50's. He has lived in the hood most of his life, and has been back and forth from Philly and NYC. He used to play guitar with a friend in the subway underneath the twin towers. Now he lives back in W. Philly and shows up every Saturday to hand out Chapel Library tracts and pray with us in the evening. He was showing me some poems he wrote and telling me he wants to put them into a book or something. I asked him to give me some copies of his poems so I can post them here. Well, maybe soon? But for now, I'm inspired to post a poem I wrote when I was 19 and had been first awakened to the gospel in the Bible:

Oh, Life Everlasting,
You are my home
where Christ Jesus my King
sits on His throne.

To Him I made a vow
to live as a slave,
to serve Him now
and beyond the grave.


I still feel as motivated as I did then to serve Christ Jesus, my everlasting King. This comes solely by His grace both now and in eternity. I am glad to belong to Jesus!

No comments: