5/20/2008

Genesis is not boring... not even the geneologies!

Last night, I read Genesis 1-12 straight through. I was exhausted from lack of sleep, my eyes were red and sore from the attacking plant material (allergies), and my mind was captivated with the amazing drama of creation, Adam and Eve, the fall, God's curse on the serpent and His promise about the Seed of the woman, their exodus from the paradise garden, the children born to them, Abel's righteous sacrifices and Cain's envy and murder, Seth's name and Eve's hope, the corruption of the world, the polygamy-adultery of the mighty men of renown, God's grace toward Noah, the judgment of the flood, the rescue of the animals on the ark, the hope for the promised Seed (Noah was thought to be the One, but turned out only to be a shadow), the covenant of the rainbow, the hope of a new creation without sin, the disappointment of Noah's youngest son, the dispersion of the nations, the meanings of their names, the tower of babel, still looking for the promised Seed (not Seth, not Enoch, not Methuselah, not Noah, not Shem, not Peleg, not Reu, not Serug or Nahor nor Terah), God called Abram and promised to bless the world through him (could Abram be the One?)... to find out what happens next, you'll have to read it for yourself. It's worth it!

"Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." (Genesis 12:1-3 ESV).

"Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad... Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." (John 8:56,58 ESV).

3 comments:

φ said...

I really enjoy the narrative there also. Some people think Genesis is disjointed, a mere compilation of myths. But on my most recent readings I've found so much continuity in the stories. I think you hit exactly what I sensed; it's even in the genealogies; it's especially in the genealogies!
There's something very awesome about tracing through the ages, seeing and hearing the reiteration of God's original intention in his promises to Adam's race, generation after generation.
For me, though, my favorite story by far is Joseph's.

"And Joseph dreamed a dream."

c.w. goad said...

Amen on Genesis. The whole old testament is ripe with the fresh word of God man.

I recently bought the Archealogical Bible. It is full of the proof of Genesis. (not that I needed it, but I love reading about it).

ferventservant.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

Very true! Even the genealogies are part of scripture and are there for our profit and instruction (2 Timothy 3:16).